Dwight Sora will be appearing as Aramis in a new adaptation of The Three Musketeers at Lifeline Theatre in Rogers Park. The show runs May 31-July 21 with $20 previews May 31-Jun 9 (Fri at 7:30pm, Sat at 8pm, Sun at 4pm). Regular performances June 13-July 21 (Thu & Fri at 7:30pm, Sat at 4pm & 8pm, Sun at 4pm). Lifeline is located at 6219 North Glenwood Avenue, Chicago, IL 60626. For tickets, call (773) 761-4477 or visit http://boxoffice.printtixusa.com/lifelinetheatre/eventcalendar.
May 12th 11:30am – 1:00pm
The perpetually 29 year old Yuki Hara started Aikido by accompanying her children to the children’s class at the Illinois Aikido Club on Bryn Mawr under Iso Takahashi and never looked back. Hara Sensei has trained Aikido the world over, Russia to Japan, Alaska to South America and been an fixture and instructor at camps and seminars for years. For those of you without Mother’s Day plans everyone’s Aikido mother is going to be leading class at the Chicago Aikido Club this Mother’s Day. Come ready to be lovingly pummeled and tossed about.
Posted in Events
Tagged Yuki Hara
Here are some photos Takehara Sensei took at the recent round of kyu tests.
Congratulations Ryan, Nyugen and Luis.
And many thanks to Marsha Turner Sensei for leading class and tests.
All photos: Jo Takehara
May 5th 11:30am – 1:00pm
Bill began his studies in martial arts with Tai Chi Ch’uan in 1984 with Mr. Mike Milewski, and steadily broadened that study to include Aikido in 1988 with Mike Mamura, Sensei at the Milwaukee Aikido Club. Bill received his sandan in 2001 under Mitsugi Saotome Shihan, and now practices under the guidance of Dr. Clyde Takeguchi Shihan. For the past ten years, Dr. Jo Takahara Sensei has been a valued influence on Bill’s Aikido practice. The Chinese Masters, Ben Lo and William C.C. Chen have also been a great influence, and Bill considers their senior students his beloved elder brothers and sisters.
“We are a product of all our interactions, and we are helped on our path by the great and the humble. We should be grateful to all of our friends who have helped us get to this moment. I’m very grateful.” –Bill Cruz, 2013
photo: Emily DeBow
Didn’t get enough of John Boland last weekend? Here is your chance to train with him some more.
- Friday: 7:00pm-8:30pm (Room 212)
- Saturday: 10:00am-12:00pm,
- Saturday: 2:30pm-4:30pm (Kettle Moraine High School Cafeteria)
Friday Only: $10
Saturday Only: $20
Both Days: $25
Kettle Moraine High School
349 North Oak Crest Drive
Wales, Wisconsin 53183
Mike Weber, 262-527-2454 or via email at email@example.com
Sounds of Spring is a A Collection of Performances, Presentations, and Workshops coming up May 3rd through May 5th. Ho Etsu Taiko will perform several original pieces along with guest artists Tiffany Tamaribuchi, founder and leader of Jodaiko and the Sacramento Taiko Dan, and Japanese folk music ensemble Wariki, a very talented father-son duo Akira and Raiya Katogi from Japan. (Click here for the Wariki YouTube video.)
- Spring Matsuri: Ho Etsu Taiko shares the stage with Akira and Raiya Katogi and Tiffany Tamaribuchi in a Spring Masuri hosted by the University of Chicago’s Japanese Student Association. Friday, May 3, 7pm, Logan Center for the Arts (915 E 60th St, Chicago, IL 60637). $10 for general public, $7 for students. Tickets athttp://jsamatsuri.eventbrite.com/.
- Japanese Folk Art Showcase: The Japan House at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) makes a beautiful setting for a thirty-minute showcase of Katogi-san’s artistic talents. Presented by Wariki as part of AsiaFest. Saturday, May 4, 2:30pm, Japan House (2000 S Lincoln Ave, Urbana, IL 61802). Free.
- Sounds of Spring Concert: Join us at the Spurlock Museum for a special evening concert featuring all three musical groups. Event is free and open to the public. Saturday, May 4, 7pm, Spurlock Museum (600 S Gregory St, Urbana, IL 61801). Free.
- Wariki/Tamaribuchi Performance: Buddhist ideas of selflessness, interdependence and harmony enliven this performance of Japanese dance and drumming. Sunday, May 5, 12pm, Midwest Buddhist Temple Social Hall (435 W Menomonee St, Chicago, IL 60614). $10 suggested donation.
- Japanese Arts Workshop: Learn the techniques of Japanese festival music, drumming and dance as Akira and Raiya Katogi, Tiffany Tamaribuchi, MBT Taiko and Ho Etsu Taiko transform the Midwest Buddhist Temple into a globally-reaching artists’ café. Sunday, May 5, 3pm, Midwest Buddhist Temple. No experience required. $45. RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org.
photo: Andy Vitale
April 28th 11:30am – 1:00pm
Kay Sandacz has trained in aikido since 1987. She’s been a student of Wendy Whited at Inaka Dojo in Beecher, Illinois since it opened in 1992 and currently teaches there, holding the rank of yondan. She enjoys finding connections between techniques and principles even when she realizes she was shown them years ago.
AUSKF Seitei Iaido
Seminar with Brad Anderson of Agassiz Dojo, Fargo, North Dakota.
- 9:00 Registration
- 10:00-11:30 Training Lunch (on own, dojo available for free training) 1:30-4:00 Training
- 5:30 Dinner
- 9:00 Free Training
- 10:00-12:30 Training
- 12:30-1:00 Demonstrations and Closing
Saturday Only $50
Saturday and Sunday $80
Pre-registration by mail is appreciated, but also can register at the dojo on the day of the seminar.
Click Here to download the Iaido Seminar Flyer. Click Here to download the Iaido Seminar Registration and Waiver Form.
Abiding Spirit Aikikai
1540 Carlemont Drive, Crystal Lake, IL 60014
photo: Jim Moy
April 21st 11:30am – 1:00pm
John Boland began his formal study of martial arts in 1967 and Aikido in 1977. In l979 he traveled to Japan and trained at Hombu Dojo, studying kihon waza with Okumura Sensei and attending classes with senior teachers including the late Doshu K. Ueshiba Sensei. Returning to the U.S. and the later death of Kobayashi Sensei, he has followed the teachings of Saotome Sensei and Ikeda Sensei. Additionally, he has studied with Senseis: Heiny, Takeguchi, Tasaka, Doran, and the late Choate.
He is currently director of the Hawk Valley Training Center and chief instructor of the University of Wisconsin Aikido Club in La Crosse, WI..
Download a print ready version of the poster Here.
This poster features Hi Tran throwing Luis Vera.