Our hosts, the Tohkon Judo Academy, will be holding their annual Kagami-Biraki celebration on Saturday, January 12th at the Japanese American Service Committee. Festivities will include mochitsuki (traditional rice pounding ceremony), a traditional Tenrikyo purification service by Rev. Oki and demonstrations by Kokyo Taiko, Chicago Aikido Club and Tohkon. This will be followed by a potluck fellowship luncheon. Everyone is invited.
Kagami Biraki Schedule
- 8 a.m. – noon – traditional Mochitsuki rice pounding (complimentary Mochi)
- noon – Tenrikyo Ohara-i purification ceremony by Rev. Goro Oki
- 12:40 p.m. – Kokyo Taiko Japanese drumming performance
- 1:10 p.m. – demonstration by Chicago Aikido Club
- 1:30 p.m. – demonstration by Tohkon Judo Academy
- 2:00 p.m. – potluck fellowship luncheon